MY CLOSING DISSERTATION OF MY SUFFERING (PART 1)



Job 26-30

Oswald Chambers once said “You can’t make wine without crushing grapes. God can never bring forth the wine of maturity in our lives if we resist the finger He uses to crush us.” This experience that Job has been going through has been a time to refine and mature Job into the man that God called him to be. We should never excuse away or have bitterness when we go through trials and sufferings in this life. One theologian said “If we resist the crushing pressure He brings into our lives, our suffering becomes meaningless pain, no more. But if we cooperate with the pressure of suffering, then God can turn our suffering into a pleasing vintage of character and Christlike maturity.” Fruit building and bearing are key evidences to our adoption in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Jesus said "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.” John 15:1-8. This isn’t something that happens overnight or a one-time event.

“Fruit bearing is a lifelong goal.”

God is still working in each and every one of His adopted children, bringing us to spiritual maturityPaul said “And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Col 1:9-14. The gospel reminds us of this truth and sorry to tell you “Suffering in this life is one of the ways God refines us for His glory and our eternity.”

Jesus said “And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” Matt 10:38

Peter said “For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps.” 1 Peter 2:21


What Job has gone through has been horrendous and I wouldn’t dare wish that on my worst of enemies. But this course of events has been used to expose the bad theology and wisdom of man.But has also brought to light the grace and goodness of God over a sinner’s life in the midst of suffering.This course of events has caused a man to be stretched further than he has ever been stretched before, and in the process of this his spiritual walk has gotten stronger, even though he doesn’t realize it yet. Satan may have been allowed to send these three men, but God used them for His purposes in the life of Job to bear fruit of maturing grace.
As we come to Job’s discourse he touches on some very important truths about his friends, himself, and the sovereign God who is over everything.

We see in Chapter 26

We see Job comes right out and confront his three friends with a barrage of questions that point to their lack of wisdom in handling Job’s suffering. (v2-v4). Let’s be serious! I believe many of us would respond the same way in light of their bad theology and unhelpfulness of words.

So what does Job do
that makes them speechless?

He gives a clear and reverential picture of the character of God. (v5-v14) Job is dumbfounded by God and His sovereign power over everythingWhat Job is expressing here is what we see throughout the Scriptures that describe the character and power of God.

Incomparable…..”Who is like You, O LORD, amoung the gods?” Exodus 15:11

Effectual….. “Of which I became a minister according to the gift of the grace of God given to me by the effective working of His power.” Eph 3:7

Incomprehensible….. “Behold, these are but the outskirts of his ways, and how small a whisper do we hear of him! But the thunder of his power who can understand?" Job 26:14

What Job is saying is “These extraordinary truths about the supremacy of God are only a small fraction of the total magnitude of His divine greatness.” Humanly speaking we cannot put into words how majestic, powerful and glorious God is, except through the expression of His attributes in the Gospel. When we stand and survey His wondrous cross. We see the full display of God’s character, His perfections being poured out for mankind to see. Though we cannot fully comprehend the greatness of God, we bow before Him in adoration and awe of His wondrous beauty and power. As Steve Lawson said, “Trying to fit the infinite truth of God into the finite limitations of man’s mind is like attempting to fit the Atlantic Ocean into a small seashell.” But we must, and do continue to seek Him, and sit at the foot of His mountain to know Him more and more every day.

We see in chapter 27

Knowing that God is incomprehensible to fully understand and that He is transcendent; is what drives Job to be a man of integrityJob’s greatest desire in all his suffering is that he remains a man of integrity.

“Integrity” is moral soundness or purity, uprightness, honesty. Integrity is conduct that conforms to an accepted standard of right and wrong, absolute devotion to telling the truth and faithfulness to high moral standards. Integrity comprehends the whole moral character. So as a person's integrity is, so is their character.” It’s not double minded or double tongued, doesn’t say one thing and do another.

“That would be to go contrary with integrity.”

As Christians we should have the highest integrity and character. We know Job was a man of integrity “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil? He still holds fast his integrity…” Job 2:3. See what Job explains here in chapter 27 is, “I haven’t done something wrong, so I can’t confess what I have not done.” As a man of God, my integrity is all that I have and to have my name cleared is more important than my suffering. (v2-v6). Prov 10:9 we read “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.” In James’ letter we read “….You have heard of the steadfastness of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful.” James 5:10-11. Job didn’t want to loss that intimacy and closeness he had with God over the accusations his friends had against him. But this is where God wanted him to be so that He could strengthen his walk and produce fruit in Job’s life through suffering. One theologian said “Intimacy with God often occurs in the places where we must trust him most.”

We see in Chapter 28

Job’s desire for true biblical wisdom in dealing with his suffering and understanding of the circumstances. This would have stung his friend’s egos. Because they had knowledge but they didn’t have wisdom. And unfortunately they didn’t use their knowledge correctly, because if they did they would be displaying wisdom. And because they didn’t! Job desired wisdom more than a miner searches for precious gems. (v1-v19). Job knew that wisdom was more precious than any fine metal or gem that the earth could supply. (v12-13). And he desired understanding to deal with his suffering more than a prospector did everyday going out to work. This is why Job desired wisdom and he wanted to search it out. (v20-v28)

What does the Bible say about 
seeking after wisdom?

Solomon wrote “My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. Prov 3:1-7
  
Wisdom is the spiritual insight from God that provides discernment, or insight, into a life situation. Seeing for what it is and properly applying the biblical truth to that situation. Its one thing to know truth, but it’s something entirely different to apply that truth to one’s life or circumstance.

“Wisdom is essential if we are to
take spiritual inventory of our lives.”

As Job said “Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding.'" (v28)

Solomon said the same thing “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” Prov 1:7

There is great value in wisdom as Solomon wrote “For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding; he stores up sound wisdom for the upright; he is a shield to those who walk in integrity, guarding the paths of justice and watching over the way of his saints.” Prov 2:6-8
  
The fear of God and His Word brings understanding, and the fear of God brings wisdom to unpack what we have understood about God. This is the quality of godliness in one’s life “But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.” James 3:17 

We see in Chapter 29

Job was a man with a good memory. Job reflects and looks back and see that God has been so good to him all these years. (v1-v6) Unfortunately like Job, many people, only look at the past; and never see that God is still good in the present. Spurgeon said “Too many people write their blessings in the sand and their sorrows in marble.” As Warren Wiersbe said “The past must be a rudder to guide us and not an anchor to hold us back.” Spurgeon and Wiersbe are so right! Because Job recalls to his friends the work that he did in the community and the respect he received because of it, before all this pain came into his life.  Life was good, people were getting help and he was serving his community with the love of God because he was blessed with much. (v7-v25)

“For Job, remembering the past caused him
to be more discontent with the present.”

He wished he could go back to the “good ole days.” Where blessing he received in the prime of his life. The fellowship with God, the respect of the people, but unfortunately for Job, he doesn’t realize that God has been here the whole time. Even in his sufferings as David wrote “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4. This was hard for Job that the Shepherd was with him and it started produce a skewed view of God as he looked at the present. Why? Blessings and lovingkindness were signs of God’s acceptanceAnd the lack of blessings and lovingkindness were signs of God’s disproval.

We see in Chapter 30

This skewed view of God comes as he reflects on the present suffering. “But now” (v1) “Now” my life is a laughing stock and the people I once helped are laughing at me. (v6-v9) Then we see Job cry out again wondering where God is! “Where are you God, so that You would relieve me of this suffering.” (v20-v23) And then he describes how he feels as he wastes away. (v24-v31) Understand! If we only focus on past blessings and not the present blessings, as we go through suffering.

“You will end up with a terrible
skewed view of God.”

God shouts to us in our pain, our weakness that He is so near. “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Cor 12:9-10

The goodness of God is every believer’s strength in the midst of deep suffering. Trust in him in the present and rest in His sovereign arms of grace because God is good. As we read in Psalm 119:67-78 the great reminder of His goodness and grace in our lives during our sufferings. “Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep your word. You are good and do good; teach me your statutes. The insolent smear me with lies, but with my whole heart I keep your precepts; their heart is unfeeling like fat, but I delight in your law. It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes. The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces. Your hands have made and fashioned me; give me understanding that I may learn your commandments. Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice, because I have hoped in your word. I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me. Let your steadfast love comfort me according to your promise to your servant. Let your mercy come to me, that I may live; for your law is my delight. Let the insolent be put to shame, because they have wronged me with falsehood; as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.

“We may not see God’s good purpose in our sufferings today
but it will produce fruit of maturity 
that we will understand at a later time.”

Why? God never wastes our suffering, because it for His glory and our good. As C.S. Lewis wrote “Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Names of God's Children

TRUE JOY IS ONLY FOUND IN CHRIST

THE HEART OF GOD REVEALED