(Matt 14:30) But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."
What do we notice from this verse in Peter's life.
1. It was by faith in the power of Christ he was upheld
2. When that faith failed, he began to sink. When Peter began to sink his faith sunk with him.
1) If you were in the same situation as Peter, Would this have happened to you? "Lord, save me."
2) Could you keep walking to the Lord with boldness and not look down? (Eph 3:12 ) in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in Him.
3) Is your faith unchangeable today? As (1Cor 16:13) says "Watch, standfast in the faith, be brave, be strong".
4) Do you have faith? (Heb 11:6) And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him.
5) Are you walking by sight and not faith? (John 12:37 )
Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him,So what do we learn from this event in Peter's life
1. Peter was able to walk on water (remember he was in the middle of a storm)
2. Peter looks down and saw the doubt in his life.
3. When fear takes over. Do you start to doubt?
4. The weak flesh gets the better of the willing spirit.
5. When we walk by sight and not by faith we always end up crying out "Lord save me!"
(James 1:6) But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.
A) You must believe that God IS the Creator of the universe
B) You must believe that He is ever ready to convey to His creatures whatever they need.
C) Driven by the wind, and tossed: rising by hope, then sinking by despair as Peter did.D) You can only ask a holy God in full faith in Him alone.
Corrie Ten Boom says "Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible."
1. So what must we do?We must walk by faith in the Risen Savior
A. Never doubt like Peter did.
B. Faith is a action that is constantly looking towards the Risen Savior.
C. Faith is our every day strength in the invisible God, the Creator of the universe.
D. We should never take our eyes of the risen Lord as Peter did by looking down
E. Always trust the scriptures for they are our source of food and nurishment
J. C. Ryle summons up this story wonderfully he says " to understand our walk by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ there is encouragement here for all Christians. Let them know that there is nothing created which is not under Christ's control: "All things serve Him". He may allow His people to be tried for a season, and to be tossed to and fro by storms of trouble; He may be later than they wish in coming to their aid, and not draw near till the "fourth watch of the night": but never let them forget that winds, and waves, and storms are all Christ's servants. They cannot move without Christ's permission. "The Lord on high is mightier than the voice of many waters, yea than the mighty waves of the sea."
My Final Thought! 1. May we never doubt the sovereign protection of our Lord Jesus2. May we take this passage of scripture and grow from the mistakes of the disciples, and learn wisdom to strengthen our faith!3. Remember when our feet begin to sink we should be thinking about Christ Why?(Heb 13:5-6) "for He has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my Helper; I will not fear; what can man do to"
by Mike Andrews