What is required from everyone to receive grace and mercy through redemption? Humility!..........Humility is a freedom from pride and arrogance; humbleness of mind; a modest estimate of one's own worth. In theology, humility consists in meekness of mind; a deep sense of one's own unworthiness in the sight of God, self-abasement, penitence for sin, and submission to the divine will. Hudson Taylor was scheduled to speak at a Large Presbyterian church in Melbourne, Australia. The moderator of the service introduced the missionary in eloquent and glowing terms. He told the large congregation all that Taylor had accomplished in China, and then presented him as "our illustrious guest." Taylor stood quietly for a moment, and then opened his message by saying, "Dear friends, I am the little servant of an illustrious Master." “Humility is perfect quietness of heart. It is for me to have no trouble; never to be fretted or vexed or irritated or sore or disappointed. It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me and when I am blamed or despised. It is to have a blessed home in the Lord where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace as in a deep sea of calmness when all around is trouble. It is the fruit of the Lord Jesus Christ's redemptive work on Calvary's cross, manifested in those of His own who are definitely subject to the Holy Spirit.” Andrew Murray. THE BIBLE SAYS:
- Those who humble themselves will be delivered by God............. Job 22:29 “When they cast you down, and you say, 'Exaltation will come!' Then He will save the humble person.”
- Those who humble themselves will receive more grace.........James 4:6 “But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "GOD RESISTS THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."
- Those who humble themselves will find honor Prov 15:33 “The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom, And before honor is humility.”
• Jacob (Gen 32:20)
• Hezekiah (2 Chron 32:26) “Then Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart,”
• David (1Chron 29:14) But who am I, and who are my people, That we should be able to offer so willingly as this? For all things come from You, And of Your own we have given You.
• Isaiah (Isa 6:5) “So I said: "Woe is me, for I am undone! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, The LORD of hosts."
• The centurion (Matt 8:8) "Lord, I am not worthy that You should come under my roof.
• Peter (Luke 5:8) “When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!"
• Paul (Rom 7:24) “O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
We come to Chapter 3 and we see the most amazing thing about redemption...........the first part we see the humility of Ruth and the second part we see the mercy and grace of Boaz.
THE FIRST PART OF REDEMPTION IS HUMILITY.
Ruth displays to us a woman who humbled herself before her hopeful ‘kinsman redeemer’ Look at what she does in the first (5 verses)!! Ruth forsaken it all to be with Naomi and her God. Ruth was concerned for the health and well being of her mother in-law. Ruth gleaned the field with pride and thankfulness despite being a poor widow from Moab. Ruth looked to Boaz because he is the only one who redeem her and Naomi. REMEMBER! ACCORDING TO LEVITICAL LAW THIS KINSMEN REDEEMER COULD REDEEM:
• A family member sold into slavery (Lev 25:47-49)
• Land that was sold under economic hardship (Lev 25:23-28)
• A family name by virtue of a Levitical marriage (Deut 25:5-10)
Ruth humbly went to Boaz with the hope that he would redeem her and her mother-law. Ruth knew that she was unworthy to be in the presence of a man of such honor and integrity.........but she trusted in the wisdom of her mother in-law and the Law God put in place for His children......The same goes for us! It requires humility!WE MUST UNDERSTAND THAT WE ARE NOT NATURALLY GOOD! IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE ME
• Watch the news or read the news paper.
• Watch two children play together!!!
• Watch how co-workers treat it other in a group decision
• Watch people’s reaction as they drive in rush hour traffic
• Watch professional sports teams
• Watch the political campaign ads on TV
• Watch how many in the church treat each other
THAT’S LOOK CLOSER TO HOME........A newborn left to die in a dumpster in northwest Calgary was saved by a man who only later found out he was the boy's father. Calgary police said that the boy's mother told them she did not know she was pregnant until she gave birth to the child. She allegedly put the living baby in a garbage bag and tossed him into the dumpster. That was only 5 days ago!! THAT’S GET EVEN CLOSER TO MY HOME TOWN OF TWEED ONTARIO...... AND MY WIFE’S HOME TOWN OF BELLEVILLE ONTARIO. Russell Williams, a Canadian murderer, serial rapist, and Colonel in the Canadian Air Force. Sentencing hearing this past Monday, after standing morbidly still for the forty minutes it took to read the list of charges against him, Williams pleaded guilty to all 88 counts in the third-floor courtroom of the Belleville Superior Court. LISTEN TO WHAT PAUL WROTE! Rom 3:10-18 “As it is written: "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NO, NOT ONE; THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS; THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS AFTER GOD. THEY HAVE ALL TURNED ASIDE; THEY HAVE TOGETHER BECOME UNPROFITABLE; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, NO, NOT ONE." "THEIR THROAT IS AN OPEN TOMB; WITH THEIR TONGUES THEY HAVE PRACTICED DECEIT"; "THE POISON OF ASPS IS UNDER THEIR LIPS"; "WHOSE MOUTH IS FULL OF CURSING AND BITTERNESS." "THEIR FEET ARE SWIFT TO SHED BLOOD; DESTRUCTION AND MISERY ARE IN THEIR WAYS; AND THE WAY OF PEACE THEY HAVE NOT KNOWN." "THERE IS NO FEAR OF GOD BEFORE THEIR EYES." We are all born sinful!!! “Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.” Ps 51:5.....We must realize that we are sinners and unworthy to come into His presence.....We must realize that we have sinned against a holy God....We must realize that we can do nothing in and of ourselves to find forgiveness......We must realize that we need Him and not the other way around. Naomi knew this! That’s why she told Ruth what she needs to do in the opening verses of the chapter. This was vital if either of them were ever to survive or continue on....This was also vital for our redemption for future things.Without this meeting we would be forever lost without a Saviour. Without this meeting we wouldn’t be able to find redemption for ourselves. Ruth humbly went to Boaz and offered herself for hand in marriage by sleeping at Boaz’s feet! A sense of adoration and modesty! (v9) “take (spread your garment over) your maidservant....” As a request for protection in marriage.....Eze 16:8 "When I passed by you again and looked upon you, indeed your time was the time of love; so I spread My wing over you and covered your nakedness. Yes, I swore an oath to you and entered into a covenant with you, and you became Mine," says the Lord GOD.” This was a display of humility to the only one who could redeem her and Naomi
THE SECOND PART OF REDEMPTION IS GRACE AND MERCY
Boaz displays to us his mercy and grace! Boaz was flattered by Ruth’s request and kindness.....since he is much older than her (v10) REMEMBER THE BIBLE SPEAKS OF BOAZ AS:
• a man of valour and honor
• a man who was a relative of Elimelech
• a man of great standing
• His name means “in him is strength” or you could say “a mighty man of war”
• In 1 Kings 7:21 one of the front pillars of Solomon’s temple was called Boaz (it’s a powerful name of strength and stability.
Boaz was a man of great strength......a true biblical example of a godly man! Boaz was a true example of a Christ type found in the Old Testament! Boaz was a man of his word (v18) Think about for a moment!...............................He didn’t have to redeem Ruth and Naomi. He didn’t have to show kindness to a foreigner like Ruth. He didn’t have to do anything! ISN’T THAT A WONDERFUL PICTURE OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST! He didn’t have to redeem you or me. He didn’t have to show kindness to foreigners’ like us. He didn’t have to do anything! But He willing chose to redeem us sinful people. Remember: God the Father.....God the Son....God the Holy Spirit......... doesn’t need us to complete them........................................The Godhead would be just as happy without us! But they chose to redeem a fallen generation like us! Why? The Godhead desires our worship and obedience. MERCY is God withholding the punishment we deserve because of our sinfulness. The consequence of sin is death, yet Jesus paid this penalty for us. If it wasn’t for God’s mercy you would not be here. We are deserving of judgment, of destruction, punishment and condemnation. GRACE is the unearned gifts the Father gives to His children. The Lord relates to us by His grace. Grace has provided salvation to all who come to Him, though we deserved destruction. God knew that the man He created would sin. Titus 3:3-7 “For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs (a child, by implication a possessor) according to the hope of eternal life.”
Eph 1:6-7 “to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace.” WE WILL NEVER FIND HIS REDEMPTIVE GRACE AND MERCY APART FROM HUMILITY......
• Humility shows us our sin
• Humility shows our unworthiness before a holy God
• Humility shows that we need Him desperately
• Humility guides us to Him who is full of grace and mercy
"Humble we must be, if to heaven we go; High is the roof there, but the gate is low." Robert Herrick. Ruth humbled herself to the mercy of one man named Boaz there kinsman redeemer. We humble ourselves to the mercy of one man named Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. If we didn’t have Ruth as an example of true biblical humility we wouldn’t’ be sitting here today praising our Lord for His grace and mercy in our lives. SO LET ME ASK YOU THE QUESTION.....Have you truly humbled yourself at the feet of our precious Savior, Jesus Christ? Our kinsman redeemer!