Why I Love The Church
Jesus Christ in all His humanity set the bar for us as believers! Jesus Christ in all His humanity set the bar for us as a universal church! Jesus Christ in all His humanity set the bar for us as a local church! Jesus Christ in all His humanity set the bar for us as a family! The church is a beautiful place to be! The church is a picture of God’s saving mercies to sinners like us:
- A people who have down falls
- A people of wicked pasts
- A people who called out of darkness
- A people with personal issues and problems
- A people who need each other for support and encouragement
See the church isn't perfect!
- It’s a place that has scares
- It’s a place that has needy people
- It’s a place that babies spiritually
- It’s a place that is filled with doubt and fear at times
- It’s a place that is hard to get along with sometimes
- It’s a place that we can find comfort
- It’s a place that has different people from different walks of life
- It’s a place that has different personalities
- It’s a place that needs healing and forgiveness
- It’s a place that seeks the interest of others
- It’s a place of joy and comfort
- It’s a place that is full of saved sinners
- It’s a place that needs help
- It’s a place that l wouldn't give it for the world
- It s a place my family and I call home
The Moosehorn Baptist Church is our home......but it’s not only our home! It’s our family. See we need to understand! Jesus came to call people out of their homes. To deny themselves........to pick up their crosses to come follow Him, outside of the home. Hebrews 13:12-13 says these words.....“So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured.” Paul wrote these words....... “Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will make my dwelling among them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore go out from their midst, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch no unclean thing; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty." 2 Cor 6:14-18.
God is calling us out of our homes to meet with Him! God is calling the church to come to Him, and be separate. Why? This is where our fellowship and family belongs. It’s the only way we can image Christ to fallen generation. So I want to ask you a question! Why do you come to church?
- Is it so you can worship with like-minded people who love the LORD?
- Is it so that you grow deeper in love with Christ through the messages?
- Is it because you love doctrine [biblical teachings]?
- Is it because you love LORD and His church [fellow believers]?
- Is it so that God can use you in the church [Whether it’s serving, praying, comforting, or encouraging]?
- Is it because you’ll look bad in the community if you don’t?
- Is it because this is what we've always have done?
- Is it because you want to see what you can get out of church?
- Is it because you want your needs meet by others?
- Is it because this is how you think a person gets saved?
- Is it because someone pressured or nagged you into going?
- Is it because it makes you feel good about yourself and it will help you win favour with God?
- Is it because you want to cause division or be hurtful to someone else?
- Is it because you love to complain and look down one people and this is the best place to do that?
I don’t say these things to hurt you! I say these things to you..... so that you don’t have a false understanding about why we go to church! See! When a person loves the Gospel and they see their redemption hanging on that tree and then realize the promise of future things they fall deeper in love with Christ and His church.The church whether its locally or universally is much like the Cross.
- It’s a place that has redeemed people
- It’s a place that’s ugly at times...but beautiful at the same time.
- It’s a place where God resides.
“For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them." Matt 18:20. Do you realize that God is here! I'm not saying God isn't in our homes or when where alone through the week and this is the only place we will find Him. He is everywhere present.....but He has sanctified this place for himself. He is the One that laid the foundations because He is the Cornerstone and backbone of the church [our church family]. God is here and this why we come....to worship Him in all His glory as His redeemed children. Jesus called us out the camp to come meet Him.....Why? So that He could save us and give us a living hope to tell future generations. Why do we have children in the worship service? So that they can see mom's and dads worshipping the King of kings and Lord of lords. So that our children can see the love we have for God and His people with the hope of them doing the same. Why do I love the church? Here are 10 Biblical Reasons to that question.... to why I love the church.
1. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT WORSHIPS TOGETHER.
Ps 34:3 “Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together! Coming together as an Assembly of God’s called ones singing the same song to the redeeming work found in His Son [Jesus Christ] Nothing is better than singing and opening God’s word with the same passion...and same motivation found through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.God has given us a spirit to worship Him in truth.
2. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT PARTAKES OF THE LORD’S SUPPER TOGETHER.
1 Cor 10:17 “Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.” The Lord’s Supper is for those who have been purchased and brought into the family of God through Christ. This is a privilege to share with loved ones who have been redeemed by His grace.It’s like a family sitting down eating a meal together and conversing about how great God is for saving us.
3. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT PRAYS TOGETHER.
Eph 6:18 “praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,” Keeping each and every one of us in prayer as we face the challenges of the week ...being sensitive to those around you.
Whether it’s for those taking care of children.. farming...health issues...marital struggles....personal devotion.....and the strength to stand strong as a church family. Praying for me to lead and guide us closer to Christ.
4. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THE GROWS TOGETHER.
Heb 10:25 “not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Coming together as a family to help grow and encourage each other as we face our daily battles. God did not leave us to fight these battles alone! He gave us His Spirit and His children to comfort one another.
5. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT FORGIVES TOGETHER
Eph 4:32 “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” The greatest demonstration of this for the church is that God has forgiven us through the death of His Son and that we’re to do the same towards one another.
6. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT LOVES BEING TOGETHER.
I Cor 12:26-27 “one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honoured, all rejoice together. We desperately need each other....because the world doesn't care about your struggles or pain.The church is a body that loves to be around one another to help, comfort, support and strengthen and use the gifts of the Spirit. Mark Dever said this “You and I cannot demonstrate love, joy, or peace or patience or kindness sitting all by ourselves on an island. No we demonstrate it when the people we have committed to loving give us good reason not to love them, but we do anyway......the church gives a visual presentation of the gospel when we forgive one another as Christ has forgiven us, when we commit to one another as Christ has committed to us.......together we can display the gospel of Jesus Christ in a way we just can’t by ourselves.”
7. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT HAS THE SAME OBJECTIVE TOGETHER.
Eph 4:1-3 “I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” We all have a common purpose and that is to walk worthy according to Christ. The church is a wonderful place to keep each other accountable so that we walk and desire to walk worthy. For the simple reason......it maintains unity in the family.
8. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT LOOKS TO THE FUTURE TOGETHER.
Phil 3:20 “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.” We all have one ambition or hope! And that is to be where He is......to look into the face of the one that called us His child. This is our hope and desire whether by life or death.....Christ is my ultimate joy because of the promises He made to us through His word.
9. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BRING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT IS NOT ASHAMED OF TREASURING THE GOSPEL TOGETHER.
Rom 1:16 “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.” He came to save those who needed saving...you and me! Wretched sinners saved and brought into His house. Remember “when you were an orphan [unregenerate] you didn't adopt the parents [the Godhead]....they adopted you into their family.”
10. I LOVE THE CHURCH BECAUSE IT MEANS BEING PART OF A FELLOWSHIP THAT LOVES GOD TOGETHER.
1 John 1:1-4 “That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life-- the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us--that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.” John and the disciples knew what matter the most! That’s the one thing we as His children have in common....a family that loves to have fellowship with Him and His redeemed children.
There are thousands of other reasons to love the church! But ultimately it’s all because of Him [Jesus Christ] Without Him we couldn't and wouldn’t love anyone in this place or care about anyone else but ourselves. He is the One that instilled in our hearts a love for Him and His family, His bride. Mark Dever said this.....”you would be foolish to say, “ I'm not a part of the family,” as you would be to cut off your hand or nose.” As Paul said to the Corinthians...“The eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you," nor again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 1 Cor 12:21. This is what our church is! A family that has been adopted...redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. We bare the name CHRISTIAN....brother and sisters that share the same Father! The church is a personal relationship with Christ and His church. This is why I love the church! My question to you is: Do you? Look at the people around you and answer that question to the 10 reasons why I love the church [biblically]